Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ergonomics



Our office conducted an internal training for that. After sitting through one hour of it, I thought I was fine. Then the other trainer, the HSE Lead, who has his room near my cubicle (i.e. he walks past me almost every time) suddenly came up to me and told me that I wasn’t sitting properly. Apparently my shoulders are too tensed up, so he asked if I do suffer from shoulder/neck pain (which I occasionally do, but I always do know why).

I believe I was ‘caught’ at the wrong time. I was intentionally leaning forward as my laptop was intentionally pushed away (to allow some desk space in front). Then leaning forward, I kinda ‘closed’ my shoulders together. Hence not ergonomical. My chair wasn’t very suitable either….so am advised to get a pillow for better support. OK, mental note – go get one of those free-ones which have been lying unused at home ;p

Everything ideally should be at 90 degree to each other. See figures below (courtesy of Google search). So we should learn to sit properly, support our back, wrist and foot and ensure we’re at a good angle. But no, this is much tougher for those using laptops for extended period, but there are devices (or own-made ones) to assist in a proper ergonomic position.

No comments: