Monday, April 18, 2011

Disastrous Energizer Night Race!

First it was a disastorous night race, then it was the most incompetent immigration officer...how bad can it get? Let's hope it won't 'follow me' to Sibu tomorrow! Yes, 5 years on, my 2nd visit to Sibu. Wait! I have digressed.... The most anticipated, 1st run in the F1 circuit was on 16th April. Yes, THE saturday night. HAving registered for 21km, and not ran for a month since the Bareno Run which I also did a 21km, I thought I'd just hit the road and do my best. Somehow, as I arrived, I was already pissed off even before the race started. Such a huge venue but no proper directions to get people to the starting line, or even to where we were supposed to collect our headlamps or to anything and anywhere!! Do you think everyone in this country has had the previlege of visiting he F1 circuit? Did they even think that 10,000 people will throng this place and abit more proper management is required? Yes, it's the crappiest race ever, and Energizer Night Race has just won hands down!! Took me 30minutes just to get to the headlamp collection area. It was so stuffy I think if I arrived any later, I'd have fainted. It took me another good 10 minutes to find the 'lane' to get to the start. With such a wide area, the organizers had to arrange the sensors for the timing chip to only about 10 feet wide!! And so it took me a good 2.5minutes just to get pass the start line. I was fine with the rest, for now. Until I came to the 2nd water station, with 2 miserable tables, ultra small paper cups and only 2 people maning the place, runners had to self-serve themselves. What on earth is this? No medic to be seen when I wanted one too! After the loop outside, which I was really happy with my timing, I went in and found more undesirable conditions. Everyone was scaterred everywhere running all over the place. A few officials were at the supposedly 5 & 11km finishing area but they were swamped with runners. RUnners are running on their own honesty. No one is around to ensure that they are doing 1 or 2 loops. What's the event again? And everyone was hovering everywhere leaving no space for even the 21km runners to run properly. Something in my foot told me to go abit more and then stop, literraly. I felt a blister coming and decided not to suffer. No point, no one benefits from it. And so I stopped, turned around and walked out. Did anyone care? NO! Took me another 30mins to find the way out and get to my car. Thank God I decided to just leave without the goodie bag as I already imagined few thousand people rushing to get out of the parking area. If only it had been organized better, I'd have enjoyed my race, I'd been able to get the tapes I required to temporarily relief the discomfort. Did I chicken out? I think partly I did, but Iguess it was somewhat a smart move. I bet my weekend 20km would be anytime better. LUckily I didn't get 'cheated' by the people at the carparks. What could be worse?? In the next post I shall elaborate!

2 comments:

Jaja Shah said...

we should ban the organizer in future races! glad u're back in one piece, rest & take care...

Fong said...

they will refund the registration fees.. its in the news